Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Art, After the Bath

Edgar Degas - After the Bath, Woman Drying her Neck - 1898

I really enjoy the work of Edgar Degas. He was French artist most commonly identified as an Impressionist, although he preferred to be called a Realist. He is most popular for his earlier paintings depicting dancers and/or ballerinas preparing backstage or in the practice hall. Later in his career, he painted women showing off the simple naturalism of bathing. Like this painting above, the images were freely painted with simplistic backgrounds. I have a drawing (print) similar to the one above in our master bathroom and I love looking at it each morning. It is always so relaxing to me. It reminds me to live in the now and find beauty in the simple moments.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails